Elementary Teacher (3rd grade)
JOB SUMMARY:Develop relevant, engaging, and challenging curriculum emphasizing discovery and inquiry through real-world application. Facilitate highly effective instruction based on the needs of students while promoting a culture of personalized learning. Prior experience in a high performing school setting; demonstrated strong background in student achievement, as well as experience with technology will be preferred. Personal characteristics necessary for the position include: high energy and enthusiasm for quality public charter schools and urban education; organization and initiative; warmth and a good sense of humor; collaborative nature and consensus‐building skills; patience and persistence; and excellent communication skills.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE:Demonstrated expertise in elementary or early childhood instructional strategies. Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field. Experience with STE[+a]M curriculum, technology integration, personalization, and project-based learning is desirable. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. John W. Rex Charter Elementary School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support and implement the school’s philosophy, mission, vision, and values including programs and initiatives.
- Maintain a climate of mutual respect, safety, and order that is conducive to learning. Develop and maintain positive home-school and community/business partner relationships.
- Facilitate classroom instructional programs including: academic and social-emotional curriculum, personalized instruction; formative assessments; project-based learning and development of units of inquiry. Effectively implement school initiatives and programs with fidelity and commitment.
- Provide frequent monitoring of student progress data including analysis and interpretation with appropriate reflective responses seeking continual improvement and high achievement for all students.
- Regularly provide appropriate supervision, ongoing assessments of various types, standards-based grading with academic feedback, while maintaining excellent communication with parents/guardians to ensure all students are successful and continually improving/achieving to their maximum potential.
- Implement differentiated education strategies including advanced as well as specialized programs.
- Serves as a resource to parents and community in interpreting policies, securing answers to questions, and resolving issues in a positive and professional manner.
- Attend all team collaboration and data team meetings as well as all early dismissal day staff activities. Engage and actively participate in all aspects of all meetings/trainings following faculty norms and social contract.
- With the support and guidance of Instructional Facilitators, implement programs & initiatives, instructional strategies, and curriculum that target identified areas of student achievement.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENTS: Frequent written, telephone, electronic, and in-person contact with the Head of School, other teaching and office staff, parents, volunteers, and community representatives for exchange of information and services, and general problem solving. This includes: written correspondence, classroom website or related apps, newsletter articles, memos, to disseminate educational information, materials, and records. Plus, frequent contact with parents for purposes of advocacy, education, and general information sharing.
EVALUATION:Performance of this job will be evaluated by school administrator(s) using informal and formal observations conducted multiple times each year by evaluators using JRCES the measurement tool.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Teacher Assistants, if applicable.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:Candidates are expected to have an earned bachelor’s degree with at least a provisional teaching certificate in their specialty area. However, JRCES also supports the hiring of talented candidates who may have a bachelor’s degree in an alternate area and preferably a successful completion of an alternative certification program.To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
OTHER SKILLS:Ability to read, analyze and interpret general professional journals, technical procedures, and/or government regulations. Ability to write reports and correspondences as may be appropriate to teaching staff in general. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions in one-on-one and small group situations to students, parents, teachers, staff and the general public. Bilingual (Spanish) is desirable.Ability to define and solve problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical and diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to use computer and computer related programs and other technologies needed to perform essential job functions. Ability to apply knowledge and current research and theory. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, and the community. Ability to organize and chair or facilitate committees and meetings. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both in oral and written form. Ability to perform duties and awareness of all school requirements and Board of Directors policies.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS:The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT:The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works inside. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to loud depending on the activities in the particular part of the day and location.The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Individuals currently holding this position may perform additional duties and additional duties may be assigned.